Gift Cards, Anyone? Watch Out for Fraud and Malware HostsDownload PDF
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) maintains a page dedicated to gift card scams1, and there’s a good reason for that. Each year, consumers who succumb to lures end up losing thousands2 instead of getting gifts for their loved ones. We found thousands of web properties through IP and DNS searches to identify IoCs and other artifacts possibly tied to gift card scams and phishing.
Our deep dive allowed us to build detailed threat research materials revealing that:
- Thousands of domains and subdomains containing the string “gift+card” were registered between 1 September and 21 December 2021 alone.
- Hundreds of the domains feature brands known worldwide, such as Visa, Target, and Amazon, making them seem legitimate and very enticing to click.
- Several of the pages the domains and subdomains hosted were dubbed “dangerous” by various malware engines.
Download the threat research materials now to access the complete list of identified artifacts used to conduct additional enrichment and threat analysis.
-  https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/gift-card-scams
-  https://www.forbes.com/advisor/personal-finance/gift-card-scams/